Penny Black, Scarborough, North Yorkshire





We have very fond memories of this place when it was Swifts. Our favourite fish and chip shop in Scarborough for many years. In fact, we always made a beeline for their food as soon as we arrived in the town. 

Sadly Swifts is no more and it had been a while since we last visited Scardy. On this trip I relived those halcyon days and went straight there as soon as I got off the train. 

The haddock was fried to order and I took my box to Peasholm Park to enjoy my lunch watching the boats. 

At first glance the chips were overcooked, brown wizened things. Very disappointing. They weren’t very good eating at all. The haddock was a very thin portion that presented not much VFM but the batter was light and bubbly. 




The curry sauce was a fruity type that reminded me very much of the sauce that I had at Byrnes in Liverpool. I poured it over the brown chips to make them more palatable. 

Ratings out of 5

Fish: 3
Chips: 1
Curry Sauce: 4
Shop and Service: 3

Over all : 2


Comments