The Mill Lane Chippy, Macclesfield, Cheshire

 


I don’t recall ever seeing two chip shops existing in such close harmony before excepting in Matlock Bath or by the seaside. Macclesfield has the distinction of having The Macc Fryer and Mill Lane Chippy side by side.

On this visit I went to The Mill Lane Chippy and one of the other Chip Fiends went to The Macc Fryer.The Mill Lane Chippy takes card, whereas The Macc Fryer only takes cash. I wonder if this is the only difference in the two shops?! The food that was served up looked almost exactly the same.Anyway, let’s focus on my scran for the time being.


I went at lunchtime. This is a small, traditional chip shop that keeps its menu relatively simple. Proper chip shop fare: fish, pies, puddings, sausages, chicken breasts and scampi. No kebabs here.


The shop hadn’t been open long and reassuringly the fish was fried to order. I asked for a small fish but was told that the shop only has one size. The fillet turned out to be what I would call a medium and the size I like best: not too tiddly, and not too big.

I took a short wait outside the chippy while locals were served with some friendly chatter. After  receiving the goodies I went to sit on a wall opposite the shop.



The unlidding revealed a mouth watering portion of fish 'n' chips with curry sauce.The cod was pure white and fresh with a very thin, crunchy batter. The combination of the delicate crustiness of the batter and the flesh within was delightful to bite into. Absolutely divine.



The chips were fresh and fluffy. I was served a decent sized portion that I didn’t think I would finish. However, the sweet and spicy curry sauce that clung to the chips in a romantic cuddle was too tempting. I finished the lot.





Ratings out of 5:Fish (cod): 5Chips: 5Curry sauce: 5Shop / service: 5Over all: 5



Fish and Chip Diaries on YouTube




Comments