Carlton Fryer, Nottingham



This chip shop is part of a parade of shops on the brow of Carlton Hill. The road towards Carlton slowly rises out of Nottingham city centre and then falls again after you pass the chip shop, and continues onwards towards the North East of the county. 

It was on an early evening that one of the Chip Fiends visited The Carlton Fryer. There was a promising queue of customers and the two staff were frying a fresh batch of chips.

This Fiend's timing was out, however. After ordering the all-day special of fish, chips and peas in a tray (£3.70), I stood waiting in the queue for my turn to receive the goods. My eyes were drawn to a lonely fish standing in the heating cabinet, looking a little dry around the edges.

I held my breath. Everyone in front of me had ordered everything but fish... doner meat and chips, doner meat and salad on a naan bread, fish cake and chips...

Finally it was my turn. The fresh chips looked lovely as they were scooped into the tray. The man serving asked if I wanted salt and vinegar on before the peas. Finally the fish from the cabinet was balanced on top. It was a pretty looking, dainty haddock.




As I tucked in my fears were confirmed. The flakes of fish had started to crumb and the batter had gone a bit chewy. I decided not to eat all of the fish. Instead I enjoyed the piping hot potato of the medium-to-chunky chips and the lovely stickiness of the mushy peas holding the chips together.


The Carlton Fryer is a clean and compact takeaway. There are interesting photos of Nottingham in the early 1900s framed beneath the counter, and a Nazar (Mediterranean eye) hangs ominously above the electric fly killing lamp - luring its victims away from your kebab!

Other fish served here include cod, regular-sized haddock, scampi and cod roe.

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 4
Mini fish (skin-on haddock): 2
Mushy peas: 3
Shop / service: 3

Over all: 3

Comments