Captain Kirk Handmade Fish and Chips, Kirk Hallam, Derbyshire

 

One of us was out to explore a strange new world... and boldly go where no Chip Fiend had gone before. I ended up in Kirk Hallam.

There I was standing outside this enterprising chip shop waiting for it to beam me up... or open it’s doors at least.

This is a clean and smart chip shop next to a garage. (Yes that phenomenon - see also Frydales and The Big Fish).


Captain Kirk serve cod in two sizes, as well as haddock, plaice, scampi, roe, goujons and homemade fishcake.

I ordered haddock, chips and peas and waited a short while for the fish to be fried to order. When it was ready the server put plenty of salt and vinegar on the boxed food for me, and handed the peas over in a separate pot. Delightful.

It was a sunny day and I sat on a patch of grass outside the shop. This was one of those meals where every mouthful is pure pleasure. And the fish was something to fill the eye too. Pure, moist, juicy flakes of steamed fish inside a thin, crisp batter. I wasn’t going to peel this crust away and discard it. No, I ate the lot.

The mushy peas tasted creamy. A good sauce that didn’t dry up, and some soft peas that retained their shape nicely.



As for the chips. They had a lovely fluffy centre, and were good and crisp on the outside.




The food portion was generous and the service polite and professional. Card payments would be useful though. (When I asked if I had to pay cash or card I was told "cash if you've got it").

Definitely one of our stand-out meals of 2020. Highly recommended for fellow fish 'n' chip aficionados. 



Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 5
Chips: 5
Mushy peas: 5
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 5


Comments