The Fisherman's Wife, Whitby, Yorkshire

 

One of the Chip Fiends visited The Fisherman’s Wife in Whitby. Chippy connoisseurs will be aware that you can’t chuck a fragment of jet in this seaside town without hitting a fish and chip shop. There is such an abundance that it would be nigh on impossible to visit every one even if you came back for a holiday every year.

The Fisherman’s Wife has several branches in Yorkshire and we have made diary entries in York, 2016, and York Designer Outlet, 2021. What attracted me to the Whitby branch was the sea view from the restaurant.



I ordered a very traditional regular haddock and chips with mushy peas and tartare sauce with lemonade. My table overlooked the pier and it was great to watch the pleasure boats coming into the harbour while I waited for my supper to be served. Thankfully it didn't take long to arrive.


The chips were cut rather daintily but had a homemade quality with some evidence of potato skin on a couple of them. They were firm but not crispy and very enjoyable.



The skinless haddock had a thin, crisp batter. Its delicate pure white flakes had that fresh seaside taste.



The mushy peas were a tad stodgy but tasted good. I kept splashing vinegar over them so they didn’t dry up.


The tartare sauce came in a little pot and was rich and creamy. I got through it all before I’d finished the fish and chips! Yum!

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (skinless haddock): 5
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 4
Tartare sauce: 4
Restaurant / service: 5
Over all: 4





Comments