Sea and Earth Fish & Chips, Eastwood, Nottingham

 


Sea and Earth is a growing chain of family owned chip shops linked to George’s Tradition in the East Midlands. One of the George’s shops in Loughborough has become a branch of Sea and Earth. The one in Eastwood which recently opened used to be Eastwood Town Fish Bar which one of the Chip Fiends visited in 2019. 

There is going to be a restaurant here but when I visited it wasn’t ready yet so the shop was only serving takeaways. The place was very busy. I’m sure the locals had been attracted by the shops smart appearance and that they wanted to try it out. Your order is taken and printed on a chit. The server asks the name of the customer so they can call to you when it is ready. Yes everything is fried to order. Goody.





I noticed a touch screen where you can also order your meal, similar to one I’d seen at Fish Box in Whitby.


I went for the small cod meal deal with chips and sauce at £8.55. To this I added a pot of chunky tartare for 50p. After about five minutes everything was ready. There are plenty of benches around Eastwood’s main shopping street for al fresco dining so I sat in the sun and tucked in.



The meal was very good indeed. The chips were fresh tasting, firm and a lovely golden colour. They were crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. Some had evidence of skin on them which gave them a slightly homemade authenticity.




The cod had excellent knobbly, crisp batter. The fish flakes were small and delicate and tended to fall apart. It was therefore easier to eat with my hands than use a fork.



I had planned to try the peas, but the other Chip Fiend who once visited the Loughborough branch told me that Sea and Earth serve Irish curry so I gave in to temptation.




The curry was so delicious. Very silky, rich and smooth. It had an almost tomatoey taste to its sweet flavour. The chunky tartare was also very good! Zingy with small chunks of gherkin in it.


I ate every last morsel. I’m sure I’ll be back and will try the peas next time.


Ratings out of 5:


Fish (small cod): 4

Chips: 5

Irish curry: 5

Chunky tartare: 5

Shop / service: 5


Over all: 5





Comments