Eastwood Town Fish Bar, Nottingham


After a less than promising start, this chip shop turned out to be better than I thought it would be.

For some reason, the young woman serving couldn’t get my order right. I asked for fish, chips and curry sauce. She rang the order into the till and took my money. Then asked “Mushy peas and curry sauce?” “No just curry sauce please”. She gave some change back.

My fish was then cooked to order by the owner.

When he was making up my meal the assistant reiterated to him that I had ordered “fish chips and mushy peas...”

Gah?! Was there some sort of amnesty on curry sauce this day, or was she desperate to shift some mushy peas?


Whatever was going on I’m glad she got the order wrong because these were easily the best peas I’d had this year. Not a thick paste. Not a nasty cement mix. But instead, soft pearls in a sauce. And a reassuringly natural colour. These had clearly been made on the premises and expertly so!

I sat in to eat. The meal that came on an oval plate was generously portioned. Some complementary sachets of tartare sauce were given to me too.


The two-tabled cafe area opposite the counter looked a little bit untidy. An ice cream fridge unit stuck out at a right angle to the main counter. Sound from a TV playing an episode of Friends competed with traffic noise coming through the front door. There appeared to be further tables to the rear of the shop, obscured by a curtain, making it look like some kind of private dining area for VIP guests.



The freshly fried cod came in a crisp, golden batter. The chips were medium chunky and quite a dark colour. But very tasty with no hint of grease. The pleasant owner asked if I liked the fish and told me it was the best he could find - from a fishing boat in the Faroe Islands. An impressive attention to detail from a caring fish fryer.

The mushy peas, however, were the undoubted highlight of the day, and not to be forgotten.



Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 3
Mushy peas: 5
Shop / service: 3
Over all: 4

Comments