Draycott Fish Bar (New Owners Spring 2019)



I’m not sure we have ever reviewed the same chip shop twice in one year before! Our previous visit was blogged in February 2019.

However, we caught wind that Draycott Fish Bar was under new management and that the fish and chips there were very good. We felt it appropriate to make another visit.

The first thing we noticed about the place was the new signage. In a similar colour scheme to the old one but with less of a 1970s ‘Spangles’ look to it.

The second point to take note of was the increased number of staff behind the counter. All working efficiently and wearing pale blue ‘Draycott Fish Bar’ branded uniforms.

The third notable change was how busy the shop was with customers on a Friday evening.

The heating cabinet had some very tempting fish waiting to be caught. All with lovely looking spiky batter.

This Chip Fiend plumped for one of the smaller sized fish (but by no means dinky). I ordered chips and curry sauce with it. I was asked if I wanted the curry sauce over the chips, but I asked for a pot instead. It’s good to have this choice. Everything was boxed up and I was also asked if I wanted a napkin. Nice. The service was very friendly.




There’s a bench nearby the shop so I sat there and watched the world go by as I tucked in to my meal.

Everything was very good. The piece of cod was sweet, fresh and chunky. The batter, light, crisp and delicious. 







The chips were quite chunky too and very tasty. 



The curry - although looking a bit like gelatinous MSG actually tasted better than it looked, and made a nice hot dip for the chips.



The only strange thing about the way the meal was served was that the fish was put in the box first, with the chips plonked on top. A few of the chips had to be eaten in order to reveal the peekaboo cod. Nevertheless, the shop had definitely improved since my last visit, so gets a big thumbs up!

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 5
Chips: 4
Curry sauce: 3
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4






Comments