Easterly chips at The Chippy, Lowestoft, Suffolk

 


I’ve passed through Lowestoft on the way to Southwold before but never spent the day there.


It was high time to give a Lowestoft chip shop the once over, and seeing that The Chippy had seating and I’d been walking awhile I treated myself to a cafe meal. Ness Point is the furthest easterly point in England so these are possible the most easterly fish and chips I have eaten!



A regular fish meal at The Chippy costs £14.95. This is for any fish, chips and side of your choice - I went for haddock and mushy peas. You can go large for a further £2 and a drink is extra. Tea was my choice and it came in a lovely branded mug.



Service was friendly and my meal was ready in a short time. A buffet table held the cutlery and condiments where I helped myself to sachets of tartare sauce.


The haddock was excellent. It had a very fresh, clean flavour with pure white flesh. The batter was light and crisp.



The mushy peas tasted lovely and creamy. They were a bit of a solid lump so I added some non-brewed condiment to thin them out.


The chips were tasty and daintily cut. There were quite a few shardy pieces mixed into the pile which let them down a bit.





After I’d finished eating, the bill came with a Werthers Original. A nice touch.


Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 5
Chips: 3
Mushy peas: 4
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4








Comments