Turners Fish and Chips (Sheddy’s) Spalding, Lincolnshire

 


I got the impression this is the most popular chip shop / restaurant in the centre of Spalding. 'Proudly serving Spalding since 1913' as Sheddy's proclaims. I visited on the day of the annual flower parade. A carnival procession of floats that makes its way around the town with thousands of onlookers. 






Sheddy’s must have ordered plenty of supplies for this date as there seemed to be a queue outside the door every time I passed. 




I chose the right moment to visit the restaurant as I managed to get a window seat to view the parade. By the time I finished my meal, the restaurant was full and every table taken. 




The restaurant has table service. I ordered Grimsby haddock and chips with ‘traditionally cooked peas’. A cup of tea and some Heinz tartare sauce accompanied the meal. The cutlery  included a proper fish knife! I can’t recall the last time I used one of these. Certainly not in a chip shop.






The fish was average. I’m not sure what had happened in the cooking process but the flesh of the fish was quite sticky and didn’t flake as I cut into it. The batter was soft.




The chips were very nice. A dark golden colour. Cut quite daintily and served hot. They tasted very nice.



The peas were the star of the show. Not quite mushy; they came in a large dollop with marrow fat peas that held their shape. Lovely with a splash of vinegar.



As I ate I viewed Wonder Woman,  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Shrek parade by. I’m glad my peas weren’t dyed to match Shrek’s scalp.


Ratings out of 5:


Fish (haddock): 3

Chips: 4

Peas: 5

Shop / restaurant / service: 5


Overall: 4






Comments