Hird's Family Fisheries, Halifax, Yorkshire

 


This is a popular family run chip shop about 30 minutes walk from the centre of Halifax. Handily they have a couple of picnic tables outside, which is where I sat to eat my small haddock, chips and Irish curry. Incidentally haddock is the only fish on the menu here. The sign outside mentions that the shop is multi award winning and there are photos beside the counter of the owners celebrating at award ceremonies.


There were quite a few customers popping in on this Saturday lunchtime, placing orders, then waiting for their fish to be freshly fried.


After a short wait my food was being boxed up. The service was top notch. I was asked if I wanted to put my own salt and vinegar on the chips before the fish was placed on top. Then I was invited to add salt and vinegar on top of the haddock. Perfect.

When I saw how good the fish was I almost wished I’d ordered a regular size (at not much extra cost), but no, this small portion was enough for me to enjoy!

The haddock was fresh and skinless and had a light, crisp batter which made a nice crunch sound as I cut it. 



The chips were also fresh and tasty. Yellow golden, and with crisp, straight edges. The warm hug of Irish curry sauce which coated the chips was divine.






I walked my meal off by strolling back into town to digest a bit of culture at the Industrial Museum.



Is this Irish curry at the Industrial Museum?


Ratings out of 5:


Fish (small haddock): 5

Chips: 5

Irish curry: 5

Shop / service: 5

Over all: 5










Comments