The Fishermen's Chippy, Mevagissey, Cornwall

 


I think this must be the first time one of the Chip Fiends has travelled by boat to find a chip shop. We’ve cycled, driven, walked, travelled by train and plane but never by boat. This being the Fowey to Mevagissey ferry which takes about 40 minutes via the English Channel passing by St Austell Bay.



The Fishermen’s Chippy has an efficient system of paying and ordering, then waiting for your name to be called (by a member of staff who didn’t look like he wanted to be there).




Eating on the quay can be risky so do take care. I saw a seagull hover very closely over a woman’s head who was eating a pasty. Luckily the chip shop had lightly wrapped my food in paper which I was able to use to keep my lunch covered up.


I had mini cod, small chips, homemade tartare sauce and a gherkin, which came to just over £10.



The cod was a pleasant, chunky loin in a light batter.

Despite looking tempting, the chips were a tad chewy with no flavour. I had taken my picnic salt and vinegar so added more.




The tartare sauce was exceptional. Rich, creamy mayo with tart chunks of gherkin. This and the juicy gherkin gave the meal a lift. Yummy.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (mini cod): 4
Chips: 2
Homemade tartare sauce: 5
Shop / service: 3
Over all: 3



Comments