The Chippy, Grimsby, Lincolnshire

 


The Chippy is an elegant-fronted chip shop in a residential area about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Grimsby. I made the error of thinking it was a cafe but when I stepped in, there was only a counter behind the door. With no benches anywhere within the vicinity of the shop I had a bit of a task ahead of me to find somewhere to sit and eat! 



Service was quick and the fish was fried to order. Fish and chips is notoriously inexpensive in this town and my lunch was well under a tenner. Another customer who had chips and curry had to stand on the pavement to eat; I trundled down the road till I found a low wall beside a level crossing to sit and tuck in.





The regular haddock was sizeable. Plenty enough for me. The haddock flakes were perfectly cooked and fell apart in bouncy flakes. The batter was fairly thin, but a tad sticky on the inside so I peeled that away from the fish to save myself getting too full.







The pale chips were fresh and firm. There were some noticeably long ones! 




The proper mushy peas tasted lovely. 




Unfortunately as the peas started to dry, they welded the chips into a very stodgy clump and I had to give up eating with quite a bit of food still left in the tray. I can imagine a visit to The Chippy would be much better if you were taking it home to eat off a plate.






Ratings out of 5:


Fish (haddock): 4

Chips: 3

Mushy peas: 3

Shop / service: 4

Over all: 3






Comments