Posh Fish, Headington, Oxford



Headington is famous for its shark. A large shark that sticks out of the roof of a house. The theme continues at Posh; another shark sits above the entrance and other sharks sit on the counter. 


Posh opens earlier than normal fish and chip shops because it also doubles as a cafe that serves breakfast. I arrived early but decided to skip breakfast. 10:55am might possibly the earliest I’ve ever ordered  large portion of battered cod. 

I decided to eat in. 

The service was attentive and friendly and I didn’t have to wait long. When I asked if they had any tartare sauce the reply was “What kind of fish and chip shop would we be if we didn’t have tartare sauce?” Well, the kind of shop that serves tinned mushy peas, unfortunately, since you ask.



I was a little apprehensive that they might serve pre cut chips, being a cafe. Thankfully they didn’t and the chips were excellent and hot. There was also a massive portion to pair with the enormous cod. In fact the meal was so huge it took me around twenty five minutes to eat and I couldn’t finish it all. 



The batter was light and crisp and the fish succulent and cooked to perfection. I ate some of the peas after soaking them in vinegar but tinned peas are nothing compared to the real thing. I should have remembered I was south of Watford Gap and there is less chance of having overnight soaked peas. 

Ratings out of 5

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Shop and Service: 5
Bonus for sharks: 5
Mushy Peas: 0

Over all : 4





Comments