Wee Chippy, Preston, Lancashire

 


While I was waiting for my fish which was fried to order, a pair of other customers came in. They said they had been to find another chippy in Preston that had been recommended to them but it was shut. The Wee Chippy owner assured these customers that they wouldn't be disappointed with the change of plans. 

I knew they were taking about Bill and Ben's because I had gone to the very same place 20 minutes before! Luckily with the aid of Google Maps and a prominent yellow A-Board I was directed to the Wee Chippy.


There were no specials on the menu, but reassuringly it was a simple, no-nonsense display and easy to choose exactly what I wanted. Fish for £5, chips for £2 and curry sauce for £1.20. Bingo. A short wait and my tucker was soon served up, with salt and vinegar on the chips followed by curry sauce.



This must be a chippy more used to feeding locals, or people passing through who can sit and eat in vehicles. There are no places nearby for pedestrians such as myself. As on many other occasions before, I used a nearby bus shelter!


The meal was very good indeed. The food was piping hot and the chips chunky and fresh tasting. They had a good firm bite to them. 





The curry sauce was slightly sweet with a definite peppery kick to it. Its golden glow made a tempting visual touch to the meal.


The fish was a decent portion size. I'm more used to having mini fish portions these days, since prices have gone up, but this was what I'd call a regular or medium sized filet. Good VFM at £5. The batter wasn't too thick and I did eat most of it. A small piece had gone a bit sludgy, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the meal. The flakes of fish were moist, juicy and delicious.



This is a wee shop worth calling into if you have somewhere to sit!

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4

Chips: 4

Curry sauce: 4

Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4



Fish and Chip Diaries on YouTube



Comments