Willbutts Lane Chippy, Rochdale, Greater Manchester

 



Rochdale's most famous daughter, Dame Gracie Fields was born above a chip shop in Molesworth Street, in 1898. Her grandmother 'Chip Sarah' was the owner of the shop which unfortunately has been demolished. The town missed a trick there. Rochdale has numerous memorials to Dame Gracie around the town and this shop would have been a mecca for this Chip Fiend who enjoys a bit of social history with their scran.


Instead I took a 25-minute walk from the centre to find Willbutts Lane Chippy which stands directly opposite Rochdale FC. This chip shop must do a roaring trade on match days!



I was immediately struck by the wholesome image the shop constructed, with its fresh paintwork, brass lamps, and bountiful hanging baskets. I was also pleased when I entered the shop to find a simple but varied menu and no fish in the hotbox. (Rag Pudding was on offer). 

fish draining, prior to being served


Service was friendly and spot on here. I was asked if I wanted a fish as soon as I walked in and it was cooked to order. I noticed that others who didn't want to immediately eat their food had their tray wrapped in a little parcel with a plastic fork tucked into a fold at the top. My meal was served open but with a similar attention to detail. Salt and vinegar on the chips, then peas ladled over the chips, and the fish balanced atop the peas, and ... "Do you want a bit more salt and vinegar on top of your fish?" "Yes please" "Enjoy!"




I found a wall to perch on outside The Church of Saint Clement and tucked in.

The fish was excellent. Really fresh white cod encased in a delicious thin batter with a delicate crisp to it.




The chips were medium cut and pale. They looked perfect but had started to go a tad chewy which was a pity. I can imagine when they are straight out the fryer they would be wonderful.



The peas were homemade and pale. The peas in the sauce held their shape nicely. They would have welcomed a splash more vinegar because the meal was a bit starchy with the peas served over the chips.




The portion was generous. I was stuffed before I finished my meal. Fish and chips aren't cheap any more - this lunch cost me £8 - but it was worth the money. I disposed of my leftovers in a bin and walked back into town, singing as I went...

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 5

Chips: 4

Mushy peas: 4

Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4





Comments