Andy’s Fish Bar, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire



I was told Mr Gilbert comes here every day. I don’t know if staff or customers give him any scraps but he just sat there staring at the counter. Gilbert is a fluffy black pussy cat.




I’m not sure if this is our final or penultimate chippy in Melton. I’d gone to visit Round Corner Brewery so decided to come here first. 

It’s a short walk south of the town centre. As soon as I turned a corner I couldn’t help noticing the “Beano” style logo on the shop. 

I ordered a mini haddock, chips and curry. The chap serving recommended I have the smallest serving of chips so it would all fit on a smaller tray. I agreed that would be enough. The fish was cooked to order. That was when Gilbert walked in. The aroma must have enticed him. 






The batter was amazing, it formed huge peaks as though it had exploded upon being dropped in the fryer. The fish had some very good flaking. The chips were very decent and cut to a medium size. The curry was thick and tangy. It was quite expensive for a mini meal but worth every penny of the £8.00. 

No wonder Gilbert visits every day. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Curry: 4
Shop and Service : 5

Over all: 5

Comments