Batter Days, Loughborough, Leicestershire



Another Chip Fiend came here a couple of years ago when it was called Charlie’s. I was in Loughborough, so thought I may as well check it out. 


Upon walking in I was greeted with a friendly welcome. There were no menus on the wall and the screens which I assume usually display the menu were turned off! Luckily there was a printed A4 sheet stuck the the wall with a £6.00 mini fish special. I asked for that. 




The fish was cooked to order whilst they served some other people. Someone had plaice in batter. Something you don’t see on a chippy menu very often. The batter looked very good. As did the batter on the large haddock their partner had. They were told they could come back into the shop if they needed more salt and vinegar. 


When I was served I was asked specifically how I wanted the food; open or wrapped, salt and vinegar on the chips before the fish was put on top and if I wanted the curry on top of the chips. I requested it just on one end of the tray. You can’t beat service as good as this. 

I found a bench nearby to sit and eat. 
The batter was thin but had more crunch than crisp to it. It was very good. The cod inside had thick flakes. The chips were medium cut but flat. They had a light crispness to the outside that gave way to a melt in the mouth inner. 

The curry sauce was more like your standard but mixed thick and had a vibrant amber colour to it. 

Ratings out of 5: 

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Curry Sauce: 4
Shop and Service: 5

Over all: 4

Comments