Stonefield Fish Bar, Stone, Staffordshire


I made a mistake here at this wonderful chip shop. I didn’t read the menu in detail. The menu here is so humongous that I just scan read it. I put in my order of mini fish, chips and curry sauce before I saw the words “homemade mushy peas.”  Any chippy that declares their mushy peas are homemade are proud of them, so they are bound to be good. 




The chap serving was very polite and I’d say enthusiastic about his job.  I assumed him to be Stephen as there was a sign about how he and Julie moved to Stone in 2012 to set up the business. Ten years later the passion is still evident. 








I ordered the mini special. The fish was cooked to order. When the fish was almost ready he dished up the chips and added the curry sauce and placed the food in the hotbox. “Just a couple more minutes, it’s a chunky one” he said. 

The shop has some nautical items on display to make you feel like you weren’t in landlocked Staffordshire; a sign about hiring dinghies and another one pointing the way to a non-existent beach. 

As I said earlier, the menu was extensive. There was a huge list for fritters alone that included luncheon meat, banana, pineapple, mushy peas and potato. 

I was a little worried because I had forgotten to bring my own fork and the ones on display were 15p each. Thankfully mine was supplied at no extra charge. 

I waved a cheery goodbye and stabbed my fork into the first chip. It was absolutely delicious and fried from new potatoes. Chips from new potatoes are great if not overcooked. Soft and delicate with bags of flavour. It’s a season to look forward to each year. 

The batter was light and crisp and the chap was correct, the fish was chunky. 

The curry sauce was thick and amber and had a kick to it. Absolutely delicious. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Curry sauce: 4
Shop and service: 5

Over all: 5






Comments