Walton Fish Bar, Stone, Staffordshire

 


On a day trip to Stone I managed to get to this slightly-out-of-town chippy about 20 minutes before closing. The shop was still dealing with several orders and I was welcomed into the shop by some friendly and enthusiastic staff.

My mini fish was fried to order. As the food was served up I was asked if I wanted salt and vinegar on the chips before the fish, and my curry sauce in a pot or poured over the chips. You can’t get better service than that! I asked for the curry to be poured over to make my parcel of food easier to carry.A few minutes later I’d found a bench on the opposite side of the subway that led to the chippy.




What a feast for the eyes my lunch was. Lovely chunky chips and glossy curry. The fish was breaking open offering a tantalising glimpse of cod!





The fish was very nice. Although it was a mini portion it had humongous flakes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen flakes of fish as big as this. Even on a large filet. The batter was very light and thin.



The chips were pale and on the soft side as they were from new potatoes. They also revealed a good fluffy centre when cut in half.




The curry sauce was dee-lecious! It clung appetisingly to the chips and left a yellow-tinted stain on the packaging. This wasn’t your average curry sauce. This was proper spicy but not enough to detract from the fish and chips. Yummy. Recommended.Ratings out of 5:Fish (mini cod): 4Chips: 4Curry sauce: 5Shop / service: 4Over all: 4










Comments