Chip’s and Fishe’s Kenilworth, Warwickshire



Tinned peas! Why? They taste so artificial. Like pond water that’s had a load of plastic dumped in it. We’re often buying more curry sauce these days rather than risk being served this.




I was in Kenilworth, specifically to try the food at Chip’s and Fishe’s (sic). I’m sure the plural of fish is fish and I’m not sure where those apostrophes came from. From the 1970s by the look of that wonderful font on the signage. Anyone remember Spangles sweets?




I was greeted by a man that didn’t seem to understand my order of mini fish and chips and peas (this is a chip shop, right?) so another chap took over. I repeated the order and he wrote it on a chit and asked for my first name, despite there being no one else in the shop. Very odd indeed I thought until out of nowhere quite a few customers turned up on foot and by car.

When I paid a finger was pointed to tap my card on the Zettel directly in front of me on the counter.  

They were cooking fish to order and chips in small batches so I knew everything would be fresh. The mushy peas were potted and wrapped. I’d asked for the food on a tray assuming it wouldn’t be wrapped. The chap began to wrap it so I asked him not to so I could eat it straight away. 




The fish, a piece of skin-on haddock was absolutely delicious. The batter was nice and thin and crisp. The fish inside had that lovely “taste of the sea” strong haddock flavour. The chips were perfect. On the chunky side, plus long. 
Crisp outside and fluffy inside. 

When I got to a bench I opened the peas apprehensively. This is because you can’t trust many chip shops these days in the midlands and the south to do real peas. Why not to soak them overnight then boil them? 

These were tinned. You take your chances. Utterly vile, of course and binned. Such a shame as the fish and chips were lovely.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 5
Mushy Peas: 0
Shop and service: 3

Over all: 3





Comments