Reedham Fish and Chips, Reedham, Norfolk

 


Reedham is a village probably best reached by boat. The River Yare runs right past where the pubs, tea rooms and cafes are. 



Arrive by train as I did and you have a 17-minute walk along some pathless lanes where cars like to disturb the rural idyll. The chippy is a short walk from the quay and only opens Thursdays to Saturdays.


The proprietor was a very friendly chap. Polite in the manner of addressing me as ‘sir’.

I placed my request and waited a few minutes for it to be cooked to order. It seemed to be ready in no time. The beef dripping was frying super fast!A short amble down a track called Middle Lane took me to a bench with a riverside view where some impressive boats were moored.


The chips were tasty. Medium to chunky in their cut and slightly soft. They were very satisfying.




The haddock was tender and moist. The batter was a dark brown - probably from the dripping - but it was very thin and therefore not stodgy.




The peas were not to my usual liking. They went dry very quickly and I only ate a small portion of them.



I discarded my leftovers carefully as there were plenty of gulls about. Luckily they weren’t the overzealous type that dive bomb for food. They must’ve known how refined Reedham is.


Ratings out of 5:Fish (haddock): 4Chips: 4Mushy peas: 1Shop / service: 4Over all: 4








Comments