Today’s Catch, Syston, Leicestershire



This place always looks busy, being in a prime location on the main road through the village. It even opens at 8am with a breakfast menu. 


The menu has a lunchtime special of mini haddock, chips and a sauce for £6.20. I decided to skip on sauce this time so paid £6.00 and asked for it “open”. 

The haddock was cooked to order and rather unsurprisingly the server began to wrap the food despite my request for it open. Sigh. I asked again so he ceased and grabbed a tray. 


I sat on one of the picnic tables outside. 
The fish was very good indeed. The batter was very light and had a gorgeous orange colour to it. It had a delicate crunch to it, despite its lightness. The haddock tasted very fresh and the skin was also delicious.

The chips weren’t much to write home about. They weren’t bad. Cut medium thin, they were fairly tasty but there were lots of shards and bits. Maybe it would have been different if I’d had some from the fresh batch they started to cook while they served me. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 3
Shop and Service: 2

Over all: 3

Comments