The Big Fryer, Long Buckby, Northants


Long Buckby is pretty well served by public transport with trains and buses but it was a nice day, so I decided to take a 29 mile bike ride there. A similar route I took to get to the Village Fryer at Braunston, through winding countryside lanes. The amount of sheep I saw certainly outnumbered automobiles. 




The Big Fryer opens at 11:45am for lunch, I arrived a little after midday and parked up by the library. 
The shop is tucked away from the market place but the aroma of chips frying drew me in the right direction. 




They were cooking to order. I ordered the Value Box, which at £7.50 didn’t seem particularly good VFM to me. It consisted of mini fish, small chips, a sauce and a sausage. It must have been an expensive sausage. 

Whilst I was waiting for my food other customers were being served. The batter on the large fish looked impressive. A woman with a pug dog asked the staff “Are there any single men here?” I almost put my hand up but I’m not keen on dogs, although at a push I’d tolerate a pug. They left and I was careful not to slip on the slobber the dog had left on the floor. No doubt pugsy was drooling at the thought of getting a fishy treat. 




I was soon on the bench outside the library unwrapping my lunch. The mushy peas were as good as they looked. Not too thick, not too runny and tasting deliciously creamy. 

The batter on the mini cod was light and crisp. The cod portioned chunky with some excellent flaking. The chips were fairly standard. They were cut medium thin and were quite soft. Each one I dipped into the peas broke in half. 

I usually avoid sausages but this one was very good. If you’re into chip shop sausage you’d be impressed with this. It had loads of flavour. I should have asked what brand they were for reference. 

On the return journey I realised why I don’t do these long rides very often. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 3
Mushy peas: 4
Shop and service: 5
Sausage: 4

Over All: 4






Comments