Stapenhill Fish Bar, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire

 


Stapenhill Fish Bar is a chippy that’s open all day on a Saturday. No closing between 11.30am and 9.30pm. One of the walls inside is covered in special menu items such as roe and chips, onion rings, and the small fish special that I went for. I was feeling adventurous so I went for the spicy fish. This menu item is cooked to order. A short wait on the seating provided in store and cods your uncle.


After some friendly and chatty service I went to find a bench nearby.



The spicy fish had a crunchy, peppery batter. The cod inside had pure, clean flakes.




I had the option for mushy peas poured over the chips, or in a pot. I had them in a pot. They tasted creamy as homemade peas should do. They were quite runny (which I like) and there were some definite soft peas there too. However, they looked as though they had been dyed at the Emerald City…



There was a generous portion of chips. The ones on the top were tasty, even though they had been waiting a while for me. My takeaway carton had quite a few shards in it. Nevertheless the whole shebang was an enjoyable late lunch to be eating in the sun.




Ratings out of 5:

Spicy Fish (cod): 4Chips: 3Mushy peas: 4Shop / service: 4Over all: 4






Comments