The Fish Inn and someone else’s “emergency”, Atherstone, Warwickshire

 

Someone came in here and asked if they had received their £66 phone order. “No we haven’t had a phone order for that amount”. There must have been a huge amount of food waiting for collection in the Fish Inn, Ashby de la Zouch…



I listened intently as the mistaken person called back the number they  had dialled thirty minutes earlier and told lie upon lie about “a family emergency” and that they wouldn’t be able to go and collect their food. They failed to admit the emergency was they were now in a different Fish Inn in Atherstone ordering several portions of chips, fish, kebabs, battered sausages and eight cans of Coke.






I shook my head and laughed as I tucked into my chippy tea. I hadn’t made any mistakes in coming here, that was for sure. 

I had decided to eat in, so was directed to one of the tables in the spotless dining area after placing my order at the counter. Around ten minutes later a plate of fresh looking fish, chips and curry sauce was placed in front of me. 
A complementary serving of tartare sauce was also provided. 




Freshly cooked and piping hot, the chips were chunky with straight edges. 
The haddock was fried to perfection in a light crisp batter. The curry sauce was nice and thick. 

A very satisfying meal. I couldn’t help wondering what the fish and chips are like at Ashby de la Zouch. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Curry Sauce: 5
Shop and Service: 5

Over All: 5











Comments