The Bluefin, York, Yorkshire



“This is the best chip shop in York” said another customer to one of the staff. “Your chips aren’t greasy and the batter is lovely and crisp and thin, not like some chip shops.” I couldn’t wait to find out. 




It was freezing cold outside and threatening to snow so I was grateful for the small dining area inside. I put my order in and plonked myself down. 

The shop soon started to fill with folk ordering takeaways. It was a popular place. 




My food arrived having been cooked to order. I’d wanted haddock but there was a handwritten sign in red marker ink “Haddock sold out”. Apparently a lot of shops are struggling to stock it. The member of staff also said prices were rocketing.

The rectangular plate held a lot of food. I knew I’d struggle to finish this but I’d give it my best shot. 


The food was as the other customer described. The mushy peas were very good also. Flaky white succulent chunks of cod and chunky chips. Just what you want, unless you want haddock!

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Shop and Service: 5
Mushy Peas: 4

Over all: 4








Comments