Binley Mega Chippy



Back in 2014 I was a passenger in a car heading to a gig in Coventry and we passed this place. The huge (MEGA) signage caught the eyes of a couple of us in the car. I’ve never forgotten the chippy so knew I had to visit whatever it took. It took a fifty mile round trip by bicycle, crossing the A5, the Fosseway and past Coombe Abbey. 


I arrived to a long but fast moving queue. I’d done some research and knew that Binley Mega Chippy served Irish Curry Sauce. A delicacy that has eluded me until now. The menu was extensive, I wanted to try loads of things but I was dining alone today so stuck with the essentials. 






I ordered a mini fish but alas they had none so I had a large. If I’d have thought, the woman who also wanted a mini and left in a huff declaring “I’ll go to Marina then” could have had half of my fish. 

The service was friendly and swift. Now I had to find somewhere nearby to eat. A churchyard across the road had a bench, so I headed there. 




The batter that looked so good in the hot box had clung to the paper, as it does. Which was a shame as what was left tasted great. It wasn’t a thick portion but what it lacked in thickness was made up by its length. Plus it was a nice piece of cod. The chips were soft and slightly greasy as chips fried from new potatoes often are. They tasted delicious.

The star of the show was undoubtedly the Irish Curry Sauce. Smooth and sweet with a peppery heat. It made a fine accompaniment to the rest of the meal. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Shop and service: 5
Irish Curry Sauce: 5

Over all: 4










Comments