Sinfin Fish Bar, Derby

 


One of us visited Sinfin Fish Bar. We had heard good things about this chippy. It used to be one of the Zan chain local to Derby but is now independent.



I turned up for lunch. There is a very good menu here that includes cod, haddock, plaice, roe and homemade fishcakes. Sinfin also serve halloumi in bites or in a pitta or wrap. The curry and peas are made fresh every day.

When I arrived I decided to go for traditional haddock, chips and peas. There was a mini in the cabinet but I wanted a freshly fried one so asked for a large. A short wait of about five minutes and my meal was ready. The staff put the salt and vinegar on my food for me before boxing and bagging it. 







I went to Sinfin Moor Park to find a bench and unwrap my goodies.

The fish was excellent. A very thin, crisp batter. The haddock has lovely big, pure white flakes which fell easily from each other. The sign of a fish that had been perfectly steamed inside the batter.





The homemade mushy peas had a nice flavour - creamy, but with that hint of bicarb that proved their provenance.






The chips were good. This was a ‘small’ serving, but because they were boxed separately from the fish, it appeared to be a plentiful portion. I would say it could have fed two. I certainly took half home to make a butty for later. The chips would have been great had I arrived at the shop earlier. Unfortunately they had started to wrinkle, but they tasted quite nice.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 5
Chips: 3
Mushy peas: 4
Shop / service: 5
Over all: 4




Comments