River Soar Fish Bar, Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire



Barrow upon Soar is beautiful. I’m not gonna use a cliche like “quaint English village” but I’ll tell you I walked past some cottages and a house that was over 400 years old. 




I arrived shortly after opening time. The shop front has recently been spruced up. It looks very smart. The food looked very good too. 

The mini fish was more like a medium size, the chips were an irregular mix of lengths and thickness. 

I sat on a bench in the churchyard, making sure it wasn’t one of the ones covered in bird muck underneath a tree. 




The food was delicious; chips that were full of flavour and floury on the inside. The fish had a thin and crispy batter and firm white flakes. 

A satisfying chippy tea on this brief visit. None of the pubs were open unfortunately so I jumped on a train and travelled towards home, along the Ivanhoe Line. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 4
Shop and Service: 5

Over all: 4









Comments