Blue Ocean Chippy, Leicester


We were unaware this fish and chip shop existed. One of us was headed towards another one nearby but it was closed. A quick search on Google maps came up trumps. 

As soon as I stepped in I knew it was going to be good. A friendly welcome and one glance at the items in the heated display made me drool. The batter on the scallops and pineapple fritters looked good. There were no fish in the hot box so I knew they were frying to order. 





The chap behind the counter told me the sizes of the fish. I went for the mini, which was more like a medium size. 

A man walked in on the pretence of picking up a menu then proceeded to ask “have you got a cigarette boss?” to everyone that came into the shop, including the multitude of delivery riders. Apparently no one smoked. 

I was handed a couple of napkins with my meal then set off to find a spot to sit and eat. 

The chips were medium thick and floury. The batter was a pale golden yellow colour and was light and crisp with a good texture. The portion of fish had succulent flakes.




We were so impressed that we returned on another day and ordered chips, a pineapple fritter, a scallop, battered mushrooms and mushy peas. That lovely batter was evident again. The mushy peas were delicious home made ones with a creamy flavour. The battered mushroom is an underrated delicacy we think. Today they were outstanding. 




Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 4
Pineapple fritter: 4
Battered mushrooms: 5
Mushy Peas: 4
Scallop: 4
Shop and service: 4

Over all: 4




Comments