Sam’s Fish Bar, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent

 


This is one of those old-fashioned no-frills chippies that sells food at very cheap prices.  Take a look at the specials menu with most of the items at £3 or £3.50.



I had a small fish and chips special with curry. The fish was cooked to order. As I waited another customer came in (not wearing a mask) and ordered sausage and chips open.






My food was dished up. Salt and vinegar was put on before the curry and then on top of the fish. Perfect.


I only had a tenner to pay with and the lady serving was struggling to find enough change in the till! She took payment for the sausage and chips from the other customer which helped her. She was so grateful for the financial assistance she offered the chap a sauce for free. He chose gravy. 


There was a low wall across the road to perch on and tuck in.





The portion was generous for the price but I was hungry so I managed to put most of it away. 





The fish was like one of those nugget-sized fillets. A pure white chunk of cod in thin, crisp batter. I would’ve expected the amount of chips to be smaller to match the size of fish. 




The curry sauce was delicious. Sweet and hot at the same time. I could still taste it an hour later. It saved the chips. They were slightly under cooked, but tasted OK. The appearance of them reminded me of some white chips I’d had in Stapleford.





Ratings out of 5:


Fish: 3

Chips: 3

Curry sauce: 4

Shop / service: 3

Value for money: 4


Over all: 3





Comments