Sitwell Fish Bar, Spondon, Derbyshire




This was an unexpected and unplanned joy. I was on a bus approaching Spondon but hadn’t planned to stop there. I spied a chip shop and got off the bus. Well it was lunch time.

Into Sitwell Fish Bar I scurried. I was served immediately so hardly had time to peruse the menu. “One of the small fish, with chips and peas please,” I said.

As I watched the chips being scooped into a tray I knew they were going to be good. Their golden colour entranced me.

“Peas did you say?” The young chap enquired as he salted and vinegared my portion.

I requested them in a pot. I thought ladling them over those precious chips would dampen their delight. I suppose if I’d asked for a 'mini fish and mix' from the specials board I’d have saved a few pounds. I paid £6.40 for my lunch; a mix is £3.75.

A remarkable looking fish with a battered fin was placed atop my chips and after a tad more S&V I ventured to a bench outside.



The chips were every bit as delicious as they looked. Crispy on the outside and utterly melt-in-the-mouth in the middle. Proper cloud chips. Yum.




The fin on the fish was lovely and crispy too. The cod was firm with some nice chunky flakes for a mini fish.



The mushies were perfectly creamy. With good, soft peas that had held their shape in the sauce.


I didn’t see any traditional wooden forks on the counter so had to make do with a dainty plastic thing that would’ve been more suited to eating olives! It was tricky to eat the peas with this piddling prong. Ne’r mind. It was time to finish my lunch and get on the next bus...

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 5
Chips: 5
Mushy peas: 5
Shop / service: 4

Over all: 5

Comments