River Queen, Chester


I’d been hoping to visit Sealand Fish and Chips, but alas it didn’t open until 5pm on a Saturday and I wasn’t in Chester long enough to wait around that long. Luckily River Queen was a short walk away and was open. 


I noticed a micropub across the road called the Goat and Munch. It seems the residents of this part of town have most things covered. 

River Queen serves Chinese food as well as fish and chips. Afterwards I thought I should have ordered curry sauce because of my fondness for Chinese curry. I ordered fish and chips only. My mistake. 



The fish was cooked to order. As the woman served up the food she said “Ooh it looks gorgeous, you’ll be back tomorrow!” One thing that’s worth noting is the woman put on salt and vinegar in the way that is preferred by myself; salt first, then vinegar and then a bit more salt. Amazing!

The skinless fish was very good and the batter was very light and was  orange gold in colour. The chips were medium cut and tasty enough. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 4
Chips: 3
Shop and service: 4

Over all: 4

Comments