Click and Collect



A couple of weeks ago one of the Chip Fiends tried a home delivery for the first time. You can read about that here.

More recently another Fiend decided to try an alternative service that many chip shops are offering during the current UK Lockdown: click and collect.

To maintain social distancing and reduce the chances of cross-contamination between people, click and collect appears to be one of the safest ways to buy food from a chip shop at the moment. It involves pre-ordering and paying online, then turning up at a specific time to collect.

Early one morning I checked an app to see if orders were open at a local chippy. They were. Most other people may have been tucking into their cornflakes at 7.50am but I was already planning my evening meal!


I ordered a classic cod, chips and mushy peas, selected a time to collect, and paid by credit card.

The app advised that the order wouldn’t be complete until a confirmation email was sent. I checked my email a few minutes later and saw that my order had been accepted.

Later that day I left the house with excitement but some trepidation. I arrived at the shop about ten minutes prior to pick up but kept my distance. The confirmation email specifically instructed me to 'not arrive before' the chosen time. The schedules for collection are designed to spread time - and therefore - distance between customers.

As I stood back, I observed that customers were not allowed to enter the shop. Instead a member of staff was handing packaged food from the front door.

Then ... It became my time.

But what was this?... another customer suddenly arrived and started hovering around the shop door. He exchanged words with the staff. I guessed that he had arrived early and I had to wait for him to clear two metres away before I could collect my food. I gave my name, and a parcel was handed over.

My fish, chips and mushy peas were still warm and delicious when I unwrapped them at home.



The experience was simple and well-organised.

I won't make a regular habit of this just yet, but I would recommend it. Please follow the system carefully to reduce the stress levels. Stay safe!




Comments