The Sea Catcher, York


The Sea Catcher is a fine little chip shop on the outskirts of the city centre. Not far from Wackers which we reviewed a few years back.

Describing itself as a takeaway and urban cafe, this bijou place manages to seat 35, with two tables downstairs and further tables on the first floor. There is a ‘one price fits all’ policy here, so you can eat in The Sea Catcher at no extra cost.

The cafe itself is beautifully decorated in bare wood, and paintwork in a soft shade of green. As I sat waiting for my haddock and chips I noted a slogan painted on the counter:

‘Our mission: “simply to make you love our fish and chips the way we do”.’


With the lovely food and pleasant service, it wasn’t difficult to achieve the above. The chatty owner told me they had been open for four years.



The portion size was sensible. The regular sized fish came in two filets. (I assume the small meal comes with one). The batter was delicate and tasty. The fish itself pure white and firm.



The chips had an irregular, homemade quality about them, and were lovely when dipped into the Chinese style curry sauce.


Meals in the cafe come with bread and butter, and tartare sauce included. I decided to forgo the bread, but the tartare sauce was very good.

The meal was all washed down with a nice strong cuppa.

I made my way out to allow other diners to occupy my space. Definitely recommended.

Visit their website here

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 4
Chips: 4
Curry sauce: 4
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4

Comments