The Codfather, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk



Only a few yards down the road from Bury Fish and Chip Shop is The Codfather. Chip Fiends are certainly spoilt for choice in Bury St Edmunds. 

One of us popped in one lunchtime. I perused over the menu. The fish for sale included cod and haddock in two sizes, rock and plaice. Scampi and roe were also available. I ordered medium haddock, chips and peas. The fish was cooked to order which took just a few minutes.

Although the shop isn't large, there is room in front of the counter for a table that seats four people. The customers here were treating it as a communal space, so that anyone could sit inside at the table and eat, regardless of whether they knew each other.


When my meal was ready some customers had finished and left so I took a seat. The medium fish turned out to be very big, so the large that was also on offer must have been huge. It was the generous size of my meal that had swayed me to eat in. It would've been tricky to carry it all outside! 


The chips were nice and chunky and piping hot. 

The haddock (with its skin on) was delicious. The knobbly but thin and crispy batter was yummy. It was tempting to eat the lot but it would have been too filling.



The mushies similarly came in a rather large portion. The pot had been heated in a microwave and was as hot as green larva.

I was defeated long before the end, so wrapped my meal up to finish at home. 

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 4
Fish (haddock): 5
Mushy peas: 3
Shop / service: 3
Over all: 4


Comments