Colmans, South Shields



One could argue that good service is as important as good food when in a chip shop; it could be a deciding factor in whether or not one visits an establishment again. I certainly didn’t expect the surly (un) welcome at Colmans, South Shields.



I ordered the Cod Meal Deal for £7.95. Cod, chips, mushy peas and a can of pop. Easy enough except the disinterested staff served me cod and chips until I corrected them. 





The peas were already in a tub and a bag. I had asked for my food “open” but this was also ignored. There seemed a lot of unnecessary packaging as my food was boxed and bagged. 


On to the food, eaten in the pleasant surroundings of South Marine Park. The cod was exceptionally good in a light crisp batter. The chips looked impressive, cut large in Beefeater style but lacked flavour with many over-cooked, giving the impression they had been reheated.





The mushy peas were more of a paste in texture and quite stodgy. Much of the food was discarded. Rather disappointing. 


Ratings out of 5:


Fish: 5

Chips: 2

Mushy peas: 2

Shop and service: 1


Over all: 2


Comments