Boden's Fish and Chips, Stapleford, Nottingham



One of the Chip Fiends visited Boden’s Fish and Chips. The sign outside has a subheading: 'The Great British Dish'.

A few years ago when we embarked on the i4 Chippy Crawl we omitted this establishment as we thought it looked more like a kebab house. Several years later we thought we’d give it a go.

On entering the premises I noted how friendly the lady was behind the counter. Chatting with customers, she even welcomed me with a “hello” before it was my turn to be served. The staff were wearing ‘Moley’s Chippy’ uniforms. How curious. Was this somewhere they had owned prior to Boden’s?

The shop is quite small but there is room for indoor dining at a small table and some bar stools at a window shelf.





I was going to have a mini fish meal but when I entered and saw a small fish waiting to be hooked in the heated display I thought better of this and ordered a large haddock.

A short wait and my meal of fish, chips and curry sauce for £6.90 was ready.





The fish was very good. Delicious flakes of haddock encased in a thin crispy batter that reminded me a bit of the batter I had eaten at My Plaice in Gorleston. The curry sauce was both sweet and spicy. Without it I don’t think I would have been able to eat the chips...

When I was watching the customer in front of me being served I had noticed how pale the chips were. Hmmm. Not pale, but white! I had never seen white chips before (apart from raw ones). I thought it best to perk mine up with some curry.




Strangely they had the texture of old, chewy chips. Yet they didn’t look reheated or old. What had gone wrong here, I cannot fathom.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (haddock): 4
Curry sauce: 4
Shop / service: 3
Chips: 1
Over all: 3

Comments