Golden Gourmet, Worcester



Worcester, home of the sauce. I can’t imagine Worcester sauce bottles adorning the counters of chip shops here like bottles of Hendo’s do in Sheffield chippies. But everyone knows Worcester sauce tastes nothing like Henderson’s Relish. A common assumption they’re similar just because the bottles look alike. 


Anyway, would I be served by a Worcester Woman or Worcester Man? All these thoughts as I took a short stroll along the Tythings, a street of antique shops and pubs. 

I went for mini fish, chips and mushy peas for £4.50. No waiting today, the fish was in the display, although at first I thought it was a large battered sausage, from the shape. 


The salt and vinegar was added before the peas, which was good. What wasn’t so great was the peas being dolloped on top of the fish. All I can say is, it was a good job the peas were nice. In fact, they were the crowning glory of the meal in two ways. 

They were full of flavour and the type we enjoy, with a bit of bite to the texture. 

The fish was OK but the batter was on the soggy side. Was that due to the peas? I guess we’ll never know for sure. 

The chips had a nice flavour but were on the chewy and stodgy side, so weren’t all eaten. 

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 3
Chips: 2
Mushy Peas: 4
Shop and service: 3

Over all: 3

Comments