The Crest of the Wave, Heanor, Derbyshire


The Crest of the Wave, Heanor, is certainly one of the most unusual chip shops we have visited. Imagine going into your local off license or mini mart and there being a chip shop range and counter on one side and that pretty much sums up the layout. Way towards the back of the shop there are also some cafe tables for customers to eat in. 

The quirkiness of the interior is unique but it seems to confuse customers about how to queue or where to stand. This is because there are shop fittings and the chippy counter immediately inside the front door. The front windows are also covered in posters advertising the booze for sale which tends to disguise the fact that this is a chip shop.

It was a busy Saturday lunchtime when one of the Chip Fiends visited. There were five members of staff squeezed in behind the counter. Some of them were plating up food for the cafe on large square plates. The portion sizes looked immense! Large battered fish and chips with mushy peas were having gravy ladled on top. I decided to go for a lighter meal. The cod slice value meal with chips and side of choice at £4.25 was good VFM. I was asked if I wanted my peas on top of the chips or in a pot. Good service! 


Incidentally the 'cod slice' must be a popular style in this area. Mrs Seas at Loscoe, just up the road serve these too.


I sat in the market square to eat. The fish was excellent. Not cooked to order, but fresh and tasty. The batter was a little moist inside, but I removed it and only ate the fish. The chips were tasty too. Nice and crisp on the outside, fluffy within, but a tiny tad greasy. The not over-dyed peas were delicious.



Afterwards I went for a drink in a nearby micro pub where I overheard someone talking about fish and chips. "I always peel my batter off" the man said, "it's the best way to eat your fish". I nodded in agreement.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish (cod): 4
Chips: 4
Mushy peas: 4
Shop / service: 3

Over all: 4 

Comments