Bakewell Traditional Fish and Chip Shop, Bakewell, Derbyshire



This is the chip shop that is renowned for queues when the tourists descend on Bakewell. Being as the tourists descend on Bakewell most days, the queues at this little chippy are a regular occurrence.

Established 1973, the Bakewell Traditional Fish and Chip Shop must be well rehearsed in preparing for the lunch stampede. When this Chip Fiend visited at about 11.50am there was already a small pile of cod and battered sausage in the heated cabinet. I asked for haddock which was promptly fried to order.

I walked towards the river and found a bench to rest on.




The haddock's batter looked to be thick, but when I stuck my fork in it, it was delightfully crisp and light. The fish inside had steamed perfectly and was still piping hot after my short walk. 




The pale chips were nice and chunky and the peas had the home-soaked almost 'soapy' taste that I enjoy.

I was feeling rather full so left my remaining chip shards. 


Bakewell Traditional Fish and Chips also fry plaice and battered Mars bars. There is a restaurant on the first floor if you don't fancy a takeaway. The service is very helpful and friendly.

Ratings out of 5:
Fish (haddock): 4
Chips: 3
Peas: 4
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4

Comments