Matlock Fish Bar, Derbyshire



There was something reassuringly familiar about this chip shop and how it operated. One of the Chip Fiends was in Matlock and, rather than try one of the many chip shops in Matlock Bath (Derbyshire-by-sea), I decided to try the chippy in the accompanying town.

The counter in Matlock Fish Bar is divided by two 'pens' (that's my description). The section to the left is for takeaway orders and the section to the right is for restaurant meals. I manoeuvred myself into the restaurant pen and placed my order of small cod, chips, peas and a pot of tea. 

The restaurant is self service. After you've paid, the counter staff plate up your meal and put it on a tray for you to carry to your table. This is where I had a sense of deja vu. Hadn't I been in a chippy like this before? As I sat and ate my meal my suspicions were confirmed upon seeing a photo on the wall of the Market Fish Restaurant in Chesterfield. Both chippies must be run by the same owners, along with one in Wirksworth, Notts, which also featured in a framed photo on the wall. Both chippies I had visited operated in the same way with a self-service restaurant.



Matlock Fish Bar, is efficient and charmingly retro. The interior design is of red and grey Formica.

The food was very good for £5.90 including the pot of tea. Seaside-tasting cod in a crisp batter. Homemade-looking chips in irregular lengths and of medium chunky thickness. Delicious, creamy peas.






The chippy seems to fry in large batches. There were a lot of fish in the heating cabinet. However, my fish hadn't gone chewy. Although the restaurant is self-service, I did see staff helpfully carrying food to the tables of some of the customers.

This place is definitely worth a visit for a good priced lunch or early evening meal.

Opening times: Monday to Saturday 9am-8pm
Sunday 11am-6pm

Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 3
Fish: 4
Peas: 5
Shop / service: 4
Over all: 4





Comments