Hook and Line, Leeds


‘Chips blanched on site each morning’ read a sign in this chip shop found around the back of the Merrion shopping centre in Leeds. I’m not quite sure what the relevance of “blanched on site” is, as the raw chips came out of a blue bag when they were tipped into the hot fat. 

I went for the meal deal, which was a bargain of fish, chips, mushy peas and a drink for a fiver. I sat at one of the tables inside and almost went arse over tip; slipping on a huge puddle of water that lay under one of the chairs. 


The fish was cooked to order and looked excellent when it was served on top of the chips in a card tray. Very light crispy batter. 
It was a very good piece of fish, white, flaky and succulent.




The chips were OK. I think I overheard someone say they are cooked in beef dripping here. The mushy peas were nice but a little too thick and stodgy for my liking, much like the Oasis album, Be Here Now that was playing in the shop.




Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 2
Mushy Peas: 3
Shop and service: 4
Health and Safety: 0

Over all: 3

Comments