King Street Fish Bar, Belper, Derbyshire


King Street Fish Bar is really very good. There's no doubt about that.

The steamy Windows tempted this Chip Fiend in one early evening. It was busy inside with customers waiting for takeaways. I was surprised to find a restaurant inside this deceptively small chip shop and almost asked for a table. However, the takeaway queue was moving quickly so I asked for a mini fish and chip special with peas, open.


I took the unnamed fish to be a piece of cod. This deal with sauce of choice was £4.39 at the time of my visit. (Mini haddock and chips was also available for £4.19).

All the fish in the cabinet, small and large, looked excellent, with crisp, knobbly batter. I noted that King Street serve homemade fish cakes and vowed to return to try one of those.

Service was very good. Salt and vinegar is splashed on the chips before the peas and fish were placed on top. The staff here wear smart, green aprons and black trilby hats.




I sat on a bench outside to enjoy my meal. The chips were piping hot, chunky and square-edged. The white fish came apart in large flakes. The batter was in no way stodgy. The peas were very good too and didn't overwhelm the chips. Marvellous.



Ratings out of 5:

Chips: 5
Fish: 5
Mushy Peas: 4
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 5

Comments