Angelo's Fish Bar, Burton-upon-Trent





Angelo's sell superb quality fish and chips. It's also very good value; £3.90 for a medium sized portion of fish that some shops would sell as large at a higher price.




The shop has been modernised through the years but retains that traditional English chippy atmosphere. The restaurant side of the shop looks very new and also has a few tall stools along a table shelf so you can scoff your nosh pronto.

We'll get the irksome part of the visit out of the way now.

This Chip Fiend knew what they wanted after perusing the menu. A medium haddock and medium chips. That is what I requested and I what I wished to eat. So why the attempts to persuade me to order something else?
There was a mini fish in the heated display cabinet that the person serving wanted me to have. I didn't want it. The person serving even put their hand in the display cabinet and moved the fish around with their bare hand (no tongs) to make me look at it! I found this annoying and unnecessary when I had already placed my order.





When it was realised I wanted what I asked for I was politely pointed out to a seat to wait whilst my food was cooked.

When the food was ready it was wrapped, despite my asking for it to be served open. Good grief. I was almost in despair. Did I mention I was also asked twice if I wanted small chips despite my ordering several times I wanted medium chips? Probably not.









Right, the food then.
The haddock was utterly delicious. Cooked to perfection. Full of flavour and with thick white flakes.
The batter was thin and crispy. The chips were medium cut and satisfying. Not greasy, not hard. Very very good.

The food was great. The service was disappointing.





Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 5
Shop: 5
Service: 1

Over all: 4

Comments