Fishminster, Bristol








The Chip Fiend who ate here can't stop thinking about the hake. A large 1-inch thick rhomboid of a portion in wonderfully thin crispy batter, the hake had an unforgettably lovely firm texture.








Fishminster is a very fine chippy. The immediate impression on entering is of class without pretension. There are some cafe tables in the front area of the shop, a wet fish counter and a coffee machine on the counter. There also appears to be a huge kitchen at the back.







I arrived after the lunch time rush, mid afternoon so there were some chips in the food warmer but the fish was fried to order.

Although the meal was served in a box I was asked if I wanted to sit inside, but I said I was going to eat outdoors because it was a sunny day. The gentleman behind the counter therefore closed the box for me.















Did I mention how good the hake was? I broke some batter away and held it up to the light to prove how thin and crispy it was. I could see the sun shining through it. I ate all the hake but the portion of chips was so generous I couldn't finish them.

Fishminster also serve cod, plaice, haddock, whitebait, calamari and scampi, homemade fish pie, homemade fish cakes and homemade fish finger sandwiches.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 3
Shop / service: 5

Over all: 4



Comments