Chaplins, Nuneaton, Warwickshire





Some of you may know that the late comedian and TV Personality Larry Grayson once lived in Abbey Green, Nuneaton. Once superstardom was his he had to move out the of his terraced house and into a bigger place on Hinckley Road.



It’s also known that he was partial to fish and chips, keeping salt and vinegar and forks in the glove compartment of his Rolls Royce. 


I wonder if Chaplins was there then and if he ever went there. It didn’t look very open from the outside but the sign said it was. 


I stepped in and a man emerged from the shadows. I ordered the special and he said it would take five minutes. I was a little worried as I couldn’t hear fat bubbling at first. I’m sure he knew what he was doing. 


I only asked for a small amount of mushy peas. Sometimes there’s a tendency to drown everything in peas and if the peas are no good it ruins the meal. In this case the peas were fantastic. Those pale, creamy un-dyed ones. 



The fish looked like two stuck together. It was a very thick portion. It looked better than it tasted, if I’m honest. I thought I may have been imagining it but I’m sure I could taste a trace of onion. The batter was nice, golden, crisp and light. The chips were firm and pale. Perhaps another minute in the fryer would have made them perfect. A suggestion would be to put the lights on so you can see what you’re cooking. 

Ratings out of 5

Fish: 2
Chips: 4
Mushy Peas: 4
Shop and Service: 3

Over all: 3









Comments