Woodston Chippy, Peterborough





The Chip Fiends were strolling. They were strolling through Peterborough along Oundle Road. They chanced upon this chip shop. The aroma wafting through the door drew them towards the place.

A sign on the wall said the fish was cooked fresh on request. Always a plus in our books. The notice also said they welcomed phone calls in advance to save you waiting.





Regular haddock, small chips and mushy peas was ordered and £5.90 was paid. I took a seat and became fixated on the neon strip lights behind the counter.
I also took note of the specials; Lone Ranger which was £2.80 for chips, a small battered sausage, splash of peas and gravy.
Cowboy at £2.90 and similar to the above but with a small battered beef burger.

The service here was excellent. The tray of chips was placed on the counter and I was asked if I wanted to put the salt and vinegar on before the fish was placed on top. I was also asked if I wanted peas in a pot rather than poured onto the tray. A pot was requested.

Strolling a little further we found a bench opposite an Adult Shop.










The haddock (skin on) was perfect. Sweet, full of flavour, large flakes. The batter was light and crisp. It really was one of the best pieces of fried fish this Chip Fiend had eaten.











The chips weren't right. They had a translucent look to them that indicated they may have been refried. They tasted of grease. In fact, fifteen minutes later I could still taste it. It was a good job I had a tub of excellent mushy peas to dip the chips in.
The peas were almost a smooth paste. A thick smooth green paste that tasted very good. They really were perfect for dipping lacklustre chips in.

Ratings out of 5:

Fish: 5
Chips: 2
Mushy peas: 4
Shop and service: 3

Over all: 3

Comments

  1. And yet I never miss a chance to call in on the way to a Posh match because their chips are the best I've ever tasted in my life, by a very long way. :-D Yes, they do refry them deliberately, because I asked how they managed to make them so golden and crispy. Their curry sauce is also top class (albeit a bit expensive), but I no longer have it because I don't want anything to mask the taste of the chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. We will have to try the curry if we go again!!

      Delete

Post a Comment