Toffs of Muswell Hill, London

 


Toffs is a must-visit chip shop if you are in North London. Muswell Hill is a leafy, well to-do area and Toffs is suitably smart. There is a restaurant but I chose to have a takeaway and eat in the sun.I was served very quickly and my £17 order of haddock, chips, mushy peas and homemade tartare sauce was bagged and ready to go in a couple of minutes. As I left, I admired the portrait of George Georgiou painted by Nick Weekes.


Sitting at a bench outside a nearby church I unboxed and tucked in.




The chips were outstanding! Really chunky and fresh. It was a generous portion, so luckily I had another Chip Fiend to help me put them away!



The haddock had a thin, crisp batter and fell apart in nicely steamed flakes. The flesh was a little grey in colour but tasted fine.




I alternated dipping the chips in mushy peas or homemade tartare sauce. 





The latter was one of the highlights of my meal. You can buy a cheaper commercial sachet in Toffs but do please go for the homemade. It comes in a large tub for £2.50 and is excellent for sharing. It was quite a smooth sauce but very zingy and delicious. There was enough to take with us to our next chippy stop!

Ratings out of 5Fish (haddock): 4Chips: 5Mushy peas: 3Homemade tartare sauce: 5Shop / service: 4

Over all: 4








Comments